I havenâ€™t been posting as frequently lately, and with good reason: Iâ€™ve been busy. Work has picked up with new projects (including some interesting SF.com work), Iâ€™ve had a ton of stuff going on in the offline world, and Iâ€™ve been studying. Iâ€™ve been preparing for the developer, consultant, and advanced administrator exams. Stay tuned, you can expect some materials in the not too distant future.
Migrating from WordPress.com to a self-hosted solution was surprisingly easy. I purchased the domain previously through a provider, the process is likely more complicated if you purchased a domain directly through WordPress.
- Add a hosting package to your domain (usually 5-10$/mo).
- Export your WordPress.com blog.
- Change nameservers on the domain to your web host.
- Install WordPress on your web host.
- Import the file created in step #2 into your newly hosted blog.
I set up a hosts file entry on my local pc so that I could access and configure the site completely before the nameserver changes made the site live to the rest of the world.
Thatâ€™s it for now! Cheers,
[one quick edit: make sure to edit your permalinks after you install WordPress to match the style used on WordPress.com]